Cases of moth infestations have doubled over the past 5 years. Luckily, moths are not known to transmit any diseases but they can still cause a considerable amount of damage. It is widely believed that moths eat through fabrics and clothes but this belief is inaccurate.
The damage is actually caused by the larvae that feed on keratin, a protein that is present in fabrics.
STEP 1: Inspection & Planing
Our expert British Pest Control Association (BCPA) trained moth exterminator will survey your premises and determine that you have an active moth infestation. Through careful inspection, they would proceed to identify harbourage areas and would also undertake a COSHH (Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002) and risk assessment.
STEP 2: Treatment
The identified areas would be sprayed with a professional strength insecticide that targets adults and some pupae, but will not eradicate eggs as they are heavily protected by a strong outer casing.
STEP 3: Second Treatment
Your technician would return one week later and repeat step 2, targeting and eggs that have hatched.
STEP 4: Final Spray
At this stage, no eggs would be present as the moths would not be sexually mature. The final spray would eradicate any remaining moths and your home would now be moth free!
If you have spotted lots of moths in your home, small silken tubes or lavae that look like maggots, then you are in the right place! At Pestcure we offer reliable, professional and effective moth control treatments at affordable prices. We cover London and the most of the UK.
Furnishings and fabrics are at risk from these common pests due to the fact that they can be tricky to prevent. Luckily, there are steps you can take to reduce your chances of getting a moth infestation.
1. Block the moths' access to your property in the first instance. Fly screens are helpful as is drawing your curtains at nightime
2. Keep all clothing clean as moths tend to be attracted to soiled or dirty clothes. Refresh clothes that you do not tend to wear very often. Wash items at highest possible temperatures and ensure you do not damage items! You should always read labels.
3. Alternatvely, deep freezing any infested items at -18c will kill eggs (3 days is recommended).
4. Vacuum hidden areas such as underneath beds as regular vacuuming can help remove any eggs before they hatch.
5. Ensure any textile materials you plan to hold for a while are in sealed bags as this prevents the moths laying eggs. This is due to the fact that moth larvae eat things such as: carpets, clothing, bedding, upholstery, dried foods, textile materials, furniture, natural fibres like: cotton, silk, wool, hair, fur, feathers and synthetic fibres if mixed with natural fibres.
6. Moths can even feed on dust, ventilation and ducting. These areas should be cleaned appropriately and regularly. When a food source isn't available, the larvae aren’t picky; they will chomp through most things.
7. Check for signs of moths and inspect clothes thoroughly, paying great attention to the creases and crevices. Make sure that you also check under the label.
8. Ensure all clothing is clean and store appropriately in vacuum bags or airtight boxes for optimum results.
9. Check your wardrobes regularly and keep them clean by vaccuming. Shake clothes often as moths don’t like to be disturbed.
10. Use moth traps. These traps can help you monitor the current situation and prevent moths mating.
11. Use natural remedies to repel moths. There are various essential oils and herbs that deter moths such as: lavender, bay leaves, mint, rosemary, cloves, thyme, cedar, peppercorns, eucalyptus oil and ginseng. There are also ready mixed solutions available that are specifically for clothes moths.
12. Check less obvious areas as an infestation can occur in places that we often cant see, such as old birds' nests or dead birds in open chimneys. This is common in older properties and provide good food sources for the larvae to progress.
Whether it’s your home or business that’s infested, Pestcure Ltd have various moth treatments available. We can get rid of your moths and give expert prevention advice to stop them returning. We are specialists in dealing with both clothes and carpet moths so contact us today for a no obligation quote.
If you opt for the recommended three part visit, we offer flexible payment options allowing you to pay in 3 x installments after each visit to help you spread the cost.
Our experts team will revert with a best quote for your problem.GET A FREE QUOTE
Moths in your home or business can be very distressing. The damage that can be caused by moth larvae is severe and can prove quite costly. Furthermore, it can be devastating to find sentimental items such as your wedding dress destroyed by moth larvae as these items are irreplaceable.
As with all pests, preventation is key in the battle against moths.
It can be tricky to distinguish the difference between a fleeting moth and a moth infestation. Despite this, there are many signs that indicate you may have a moth problem such as:
1. Irregular shaped holes on items such as: rugs, carpets, textiles and clothes. This is due to the larvae feeding on the proteins in the fabric.
2. Adult Moths in your home, crawling or flying. A single moth is unlikely to signify a problem but if you notice three or four, then it is wise to check for more signs.
3. Ruined upholstery and wool rugs. You may see patches of damage, especially in the less used area. Again, this is due to the larvae feeding on proteins in the fabric.
4. Small crusty deposits which are cases that the larvae live in. You may also see small silken tubes.
5. White webbing in your wardrobe accompanied by cocoons. Pay great attention to the corners as this is where they are usually found.
6. General damage to fabrics, textiles, rugs, bedding, clothes, and stored goods.
If you have a large infestation, or your DIY efforts have failed, a professional moth exterminator may be required. A thorough 3 part treatment with professional insecticides may be the most effective solution to control these common pests.
At Pestcure, we offer tailored solution plans and guarantee that we will solve your moth infestation!
We offer a 3 month guarantee to all of our clients, providing that your 3 part treatment plan is carried out according to the technician's recommendations.
If you discover a moth problem, your first instinct would probably be to reach for chemicals thinking that they would solve the problem quickly. If you attempt to treat a moth infestation with store bought pesticides or products, you run the risk of transferring potentially dangerous chemicals. These chemicals can be hazardous if your skin comes into contact with them through your clothes or bedding.
They could also prove harmful to pets and children so it is vital that you carry out research to enable you to assess the risks and understand the precautions that you should be taking.
There is no quick fix to a moth infestation due to the complex egg cycle. Larvae are often at different stages and therefore require multiple targeted treatments to fully eradicate them. You can however, reduce the infestation by taking the
Amazing service, sorted a reoccurring flea infestation with ease! 10/10 would definitely recommend and use again (although hopefully I won't have to haha!) Thanks pestcure!
Pestcure helped us with removing squirrels from our loft - they were extremely professional and took great care with the work. I highly recommend them.
I called in regards to a wasp nest and it was gone within a couple of days. Great service, very professional and friendly. Highly recommended! Thanks again!
This company came out same day and discovered a rat nest at my house! The member of staff was very nice man and took his time to explain everything professional service. I was happy with price as it was also 3 visits lots of dead ones on 2nd visit. Great job thank you very much
Fantastic service arrived within 1 hour, we had a pigeon in the eaves of our loft it was extremely difficult to get to the bird, however, the workman worked out a solution & managed to retrieve the pigeon. Can highly recommend this company & the friendly workman.